Obstruction and Interference
Obstruction and interference are two of the most common and challenging rulings you'll face. In the heat of the moment, they're often difficult to determine. Making either call is an acquired skill that comes with game experience, a confident knowledge of the rules and a few simple tips.
In this section you'll find simple explanations and instructions on how to enforce the rules for the most common scenarios involving base runners. Most beginners will benefit by reading each section in order.
- What is obstruction and interference?
- How do I enforce the obstruction rule?
- How do I manage runner interference violations?
- How do I rule on collisions?
- How can I anticipate violations and deal with uncertainty?