Base Umpiring Essentials
Which bases and runners am I responsible for?
The short answer: Depends on your starting position before each play and the number of base umpires working the game with you.
For a two person umpire crew - one Plate Umpire (PU) and one Base Umpire (BU1)
- BU1 will make calls at all bases except home plate unless you (as BU1) and the PU agree to another arrangement.
- For example, PU may opt to cover plays at 3rd base (3B) under some scenarios and cover come-back plays on runners returning to 1st base (1B) when BU1 is in a Slot position other than A.
For a three person umpire crew - one Plate Umpire (PU) and two Base Umpires (BU1 & BU2)
- BU1 owns all plays at 1st base (1B) and in-between 1B and 2nd base (2B).
- BU2 owns all plays at 3rd base (3B) and in-between 2B and 3B.
- So "who's on second"? Simple - when BU1 starts in Slot B, he owns plays at 2B. Otherwise, BU2 owns the calls at 2B.
- PU will call all plays at home plate unless the umpire crew agrees to another arrangement.
- Diagrams 1 & 2 – Three Person Crew Examples